Giving Back to SMS
Two funds, seeded by alumni
contributions, have been established, through
which alumni, parents and friends may
donate to SMS.
- The Goyal Memorial Bursary, named in honor of Mr L R
taught Hindi at SMS for 38 years, from 1951 to 1989. Donations go
towards a corpus, the interest on which pays the way of orphans or
deserving students who could not otherwise afford an SMS education.
Award decisions are made by the school administration. Tributes
to Mr Goyal.
- The Keane Memorial Infrastructure Fund, named for Br J A
who served SMS from the 1950s to 1981, as teacher and two-term
Principal. SMS administration
decides on infrastructure construction/maintenance priorities, and
allocates amounts from this fund as appropriate. Tributes to Br Keane.
You may earmark a donation for one cause or the other, or leave it
to the school to decide. SMS periodically announces its priorities
and reports on how donated funds have been allocated and spent.
- Use this
Donation Advice to notify the
of the payment and
donor details, and indicate
(if any) for utilization of your contribution. Indian taxation law
requires that this be documented.
- Execute the fund transfer:
- From India—Mail a cheque and Donation Advice directly to the
school. Or set up a direct deposit (banking details below) and mail the
Donation Advice separately.
There's currently an active fund-raising campaign spearheaded by Frank E Dias
(1973), and a friendly tug-of-war between the pre-1965 and
generations. Register your donation with Frank to pull
for your side.
Questions regarding school issues and domestic donations—Principal.
Regarding overseas donations—Christian Brothers
India. Regarding the funding campaign in general—Frank E Dias
- From overseas—Payment is made to the Congregation of Christian
Brothers in India (they have
the tax clearance to accept foreign donations), earmarked for SMS. Wire
transfer is preferred—banking details
mail your Donation Advice separately. Pool your contribution with
others to save on bank transfer fees. Sorry, tax deductions are not
usually possible in the country of origin.
- Here are the Banking details
restricted. User name: sms. Password: the short
nickname we use for the building pictured at right, all
lower case, spelt with i, not y)
Principal's infrastructure priorities
From the Principal, Mary Joseph, 2009-12:
Last year the cottage near the gym was done up at a cost of over 8
lakhs. This year we are giving the cottage near the basketball courts a
make-over. The contractor has quoted 12 lakhs for this job.
Other projects slated for this year are:
- Re-roofing the Old Hall and the New Hall
- Re-roofing the far east cottage
- Buying a 10 kw generator
- Repairing the solar panels on the junior dorm
- Overhauling the computer lab, re-wiring and putting window
meshes in the New Hall
- New desks for classes 7 and 8
- Replacing the girder in the senior dorm toilets and repairing the
bathing room roof
- Fixing up showers in the senior bathing room
- Fixing a wireless EPABX system in the school
To be updated periodically. Names of all donors will be published
unless you request otherwise. Foundation Donors (Rs
100,000 and more) are
Past campaigns in which alumni have contributed: